GLORY GOT KIDNAPPED

Glory got kidnapped. On Sunday. While I was in church.

The church garage was full. The lot next door had plenty of empty spaces.

I left Glory B (my car) in the lot. Signs were nailed everywhere saying RESERVED SPACES. YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED. CALL 262-2100 TO FIND IT. "What the hey - I'll push the envelope and take a risk. It's Sunday, these people won't bother Glory while I'm in church. There're plenty of spaces. I've done it before." I say as I lock her up and walk away.

Several hours later, I walk briskly to the lot to get on with the day. The space is empty. Glory B has been kidnapped.

OK. I pushed the envelope and now I have to pay ransom. Lord only knows how far away the lot is where she's secure now and how much it'll cost to bet her back.

Time for a 911 call and I don't have my phone (pushing the envelope again). Rescuers arrived in the form of George and Nelly, friends I'd just chatted with at church. With their phone I call the kidnapper. Over the TV blarring the game of the day and children screaming I hear the disgruntled dispatcher tell me how to spring Glory B.

George and Nelly are great rescuers. They brought me home to get my debit card, to the bank to get the money, and to the lot to spring Glory B.

Five crisp $20 bills and 40 minutes later ransom was paid. Glory B was free. Sweet success and synchronicity saved the day that Glory got kidnapped.

No comments: