What do you do when you don't like it?

      2011 goals lay before me. They were specific with 3 accomplishments for each month and vague to allow for serendipity.  Spring goals were to plan the details around my condo, like moving, fixing all those niggily things I lived with that a tenant wouldn't live with,  and finding a tenant.  Unloading  furniture and painting Admiral's house were last minute major additions.
      "How was it all going to get done?  It's grand being on vacation and I'm not feeling very relaxed." I thought. 
      With pen, paper and calendar I sequestered myself at poolside on a brilliantly sunny day in paradise, aka Naples FL.   I had to figure this out so it all worked and I could breathe.  You know the feeling - like drowning with overwhelm on a project bigger than you.
      "Hey, it's here." Admiral hollered over the fence.  "Come and see!" he continued, dancing in delight. 
      "OK. Whatever are you talking about?" I asked. 
      " Come.  Sit here by me." he said.  A tiny square box was in his hand. 
      "What in the world...oh my.  It's my..." I said.  As he opened the box I got very nervous.  I'd had a conversation with Artsy about the engagement  ring and how Admiral designed it. When I told her I was sure I'd like it, how he said if I didn't like it, he'd design another, and how I had to like it, Artsy said "Oh, no, you don't. You have to wear it and if you don't love it, you'll be unhappy wearing it.  So forget liking it no matter what."
      "Let me see." I exclaimed as I sat by him.
      "It looks just like I imagined." Admiral said proudly.  He turned the box so I could see and there it was - the most beautiful sparkliest diamond in an exquisite setting.  "I love the illusion the stone is heart shaped.  It's the prettiest setting I've ever seen and I wanted my girl to have the prettiest." he said as he slid, then pushed, the ring over a big knuckle onto my finger. 
      "What do you think?" he asked, beaming.
      "It was well worth coming in from poolside." I laughed. "This is amazing.  I'm so excited I can't sit still. It's beautiful! I feel giddy like a teenager!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around this most outrageous man.  "You did really good." I affirmed.  As an aside I added  " Feel free to design more jewelry for me anytime you want.  I have to call Artsy right now and tell her how beautiful the ring is." 
      "This ring spurs me on to get this planning done so our trips don't interfere with what I have to do." I said as I resumed planning. 
      Starring at my ring was the biggest distraction for this mundane planning activity.  Hours later, planning to September 10 was complete.  Four weeks cruising to Nantucket and back in the summer was the reward for this icky Ireallydon'tlikeplanning planning.  
      Planning was easier with the prettiest diamond on the planet to look at all the time.

No comments: