Is this how you do business?

      Wedding plans weighed heavily on me.  Honeymoon #1 ended adn real life began again when the plane touched down in RVA on the January afternoon cloaked in winter dull.  Admiral and I had passed the first of what would be many trials at life together with flying colors.
      Flowers were the next item to line up on the wedding to-do check list.  There were names of three florists who did over-the-top statement floral work. I looked forward to seeing their shops, the lovely flowers, planning the bouquets and getting to know them.  And so it was that on the coldest Monday morning in early February I popped into the premier florist shop.
      Christmas decor was coming down, replaced by Valentine's red and pink. In the tiny store boxes and dust were everywhere, giving no room for the exquisite display I was expecting.  While a designer put flowers in a vase, a man worked on a card table amongst piles of things that almost buried him.
      I asked "Do you do wedding flowers?"
      He looked up, put some papers in a stack, looked over his glasses at me and said "Yes, we do.  We do the important big name weddings in town."
      "I'm at the right place. Bouquets and all wedding flowers are on my mind.  You were recommended by several people.  I know vaguely what I want and there's plenty of room for your creativity and style to explode. The wedding is September 10. Are there some pictures of work you've done that  I can see?" I asked.
      Looking annoyed and moving papers on his table, he hollered "Hey, Jim, where's that photo album with the bouquets in it? It's around here somewhere."
     Jim said "Maybe it's in the cabinet. I haven't seen it in ages. I have to finish putting these ornaments away now."
     "I don't have time to look for it now.  Honey, your wedding is so far away. Come back in April or May to talk about this." the man said, his voice dripping with annoyance, his look saying "I am so done with you."
     "My calendar's in the car. I'll go get it and we can set an appointment. I'm travelling a lot and want to be sure we talk." I replied.
     "Oh, honey, call in May to set it up."  he said emphatically.  Irritation oozed from his voice and face.
     "That's how you do business?" I asked.
     "Honey, call back in May." he said as he returned to his cluttered table.
      I left the disheveled and dirty store thinking "Now that's customer service. That's a phone call I won't make. "
      A week later, I went to florist #2 on my list. The shop was spacious, orderly and oddly quiet.  "Hello. Anyone home?" I hollered,  admiring the delightful arrangements.
     From the back a voice said "I'm coming.  I'm putting the last flower in this vase."  An attractive man appeared.  "Hi there. Thanks for waiting. How can I help you?"he said.
     "I have a 1 o'clock appointment with Randy to talk about wedding flowers."  I answered.
     "Randy isn't here. He's making deliveries and can't be reached." he said. 
     Surprised I said "I talked to him weeks ago and he set this time and he's not here?!"  I thought  "It's been a long time since I was stood up. Everyone has cell phones and he's not reachable. That's one  heck of a delivery he's on!"  
     The phone rang a week later. The man said "Hi. It's Randy.  I called to reschedule our appointment to talk about your flowers. "
     "Randy, honestly I was really surprised you weren't  there. We'd set the appointment at your convenience! It's taken seven days to call me" I said. 
     "I can explain." he  said, sharing details causing his absence. 
     I replied  "I don't trust you to handle my wedding flowers. I don't know they'd get to the church on time.  No one called to cancel the date.  You've shone me your customer service and it's not for me.  Thank you for your call today."
     I wondered "If  top two florists do business like this, what's the third one like?"

No comments: