How do you get it all done?

      "What fun it'll be. Cruising to Nantucket and back on your boat!  I'm not going anywhere 'til Miss V, grandchild #2, arrives in late May, maybe. Babies come when they come and her mom was 2 weeks late." I declared to Admiral, who was setting a mid June departure date.
      It was early February.  Summer was coming, going and then it's wedding day. Just thinking about all the to-dos made me weak. Not enjoying planning, time had come to cast aside any ideas that things would magically happen on their own.  Spontaneity wouldn't make this stuff happen.  I had to pull up my big girl panties and plan.  Simply plan to move, redo my house, find a tenant to rent it, go on four more honeymoons, take care of clients, and handle endless wedding details.
      With pen, calendar and paper, I camped out at a Starbuck's not visited before.   I knew too many people to be at my regular one.
      My caffeine level rose as lists got longer.  Smoke came from my pen as details to accomplish filled the 'Get 'Er Done' pages covering the next seven months. "Lordy, this is huge like an elephant. How'm I going to do all this?! I'm overwhelmed. And it will get done without killing me." I declared to no one as I stuffed dozens of papers into my notebook. That notebook, vinyl covered with pretty flowers and stripes in all my fave colors, was the sacred notebook, travelling with me everywhere.  Each list was like Santa's - checked twice daily.  So much for spontaneity.
      My new life with Admiral was the time to let go of stuff that had served me well.  Carefully I selected the pieces to move.  The rest would stay to provide a lovely home for the next resident at 509H.
      Admiral's quite the delegator, as you've guessed.  At his instruction I was to make his big, beautiful RVA house our home.  Little did I know unloading his Florida house was good practice for unloading this one, as it was chock full of furniture and all stuff that fills up houses. 
      "Admiral, you said some furniture needs to go." I began, going on to tell my plan to clear out the excess and make room for my five additions and a new look.
      "Sounds great. Just leave my garage alone." he said.
      With a big roll of blue painter's tape, I went room to room, marking clearly with a tape piece what I thought should go. 
      An hour later, Admiral and I toured each room. I pointed out each blue taped item. "Hm, that's always been here. Don't know where that came from. I've always liked that.  Yea, I'm glad that's going." were some of his remarks, delighting me that he agreed with 99% of my choices.
      Then he got quiet.  Seriously he said "I don't have any blue tape on me, do I?"

No comments: