What makes you lose your mind?

      Thanksgiving Day is a funny day.  As a single woman I’ve done all kinds of things to enjoy a day filled with families coming together, laughing and having a good time, supposedly.  For some it’s sad.  For others it’s exciting.  This Thanksgiving was going to be memorable, as most of my first time events with Admiral were.
      His family tradition is for him to carve the turkey and ham at his sister’s annual family feast.   I was on review before the family clan of thousands – a true acid test, if ever there is.
      Her present was wrapped and ready to go days earlier.  Nothing like bringing a nice gift to make a good impression.
      With great anticipation Thanksgiving Day arrived and it was a full day.  Long before I met Admiral friend Ann and I had committed to be host volunteers at the Community Dinner.  Duties there would end about 2 so I’d be free for the rest of the day.  Knowing this his sister generously would hold dinner until we arrived about 3ish.
      As Admiral and I drove through the woods and over the hills on narrow country roads, our conversation covered tales of being river rats (a term for children from Richmond who spent summers messing about on the water) and names and relations of attendees – his sister, nieces, nephews, cousins, and any friends who showed up.  I was confident I’d get three names right, especially since one was his sister, whom I’d already met.  Coaching, while he hunted for a place to park,  about who owned the cars in the driveway  at his sister’s house was invaluable.
      His sister greeted me at the door with a big hug and “Welcome. We’re so glad you’re here.  Everyone wants to meet you.”
      I replied “Happy Turkey Day. You’re so kind to include me and I really appreciate you holding dinner for us.   I have a gift for you and I forgot it.  When your brother gets near me,  everything goes out of my head.” 

No comments: