When are you dazzled by BSOs?

      "You're the first to see it. Admiral just gave it to me."  I glowed to my daughter during her birthday dinner.   "It's a friendship ring."  The BSO (bright shiny object) sparkled in the light.    
      Girlfriends are the best for sharing yummy exciting things, relishing them over again as you tell each detail of events.  Three weeks earlier I called Artsy. When she answered the phone, I blurted “Admiral just asked me to marry him and I said YES!  Can you believe it?”
     “Were you surprised?” she asked.  It’s been 7 weeks and I’m surprised at me!  When he asked me, I   said ‘I’ll think about it.’  then 5 minutes later I said yes.  This wasn’t part of my plan as you well know. So it looks like I’ll get a new plan.” I said. 
      “I couldn’t wait.” Admiral said excitedly.  “I had to give you this.” He handed me an oval highly polished brass box I’d seen at his home. “Oh, geez.  What is this.  Can I fake being excited about this box?” I thought. 
       In it was a present, wrapped by Admiral himself. The layers of paper and scotch tape gave way from the little square box, revealing the most beautiful ring. It was gold with a sparkly sapphire surrounded by tiny diamonds.  It took my breath away.
      “I wanted to give you something special.  Let’s call it a friendship ring for now.  I’ll get you something better later.” Admiral said.  
     “You know, we’re celebrating my daughter’s birthday tonight.  It’ll be a double celebration and she’ll be the first to know about the ring.” I said, surprised and loving the bright shiny object on my hand.    

1 comment:

Carol Roper Hoffler said...

I knew it!! I knew it was coming! Congratulations Smokey!! I've been following this romance on your blogs and wishing you well. So happy for you!