Snow Hysteria Richmond Style

For days weather forecasters are predicting the unappreciated – snow. In sunny VA sun is our major snow remover along with any vehicle that holds a blade large enough to push snow and person with a shovel attached to their arms. Activities are cancelled. Driving is dangerous because we don’t know how to drive in snow. Hysteria takes over.

The sun is shining through thin clouds this morning. Grocery store parking lots are full. Shelves inside the stores are emptying. (Could this be a stimulus plan?) Stores do a landslide business as shoppers buy three weeks of supplies to ride out the approaching storm.

Neighbor Patsy called after I finished putting my newly purchased provisions away.

“It’s going to snow. Do you have a snow shovel?” she asked.

“Absolutely not. I live here so I don’t need one.” I replied. Curious I asked “Why do you need one?”

“In case I can’t get out my door. “ she said.

When I asked where she was going, she said, “No where. It was 24 hours before my walk was shoveled after the last storm. And I wondered if we had to shovel our own walk.”

“Only if you like to shovel snow and can't wait.” I quipped.

Patsy and I laughed with each other because we had drunk the kool-aid and were infected with hysteria.

Unappreciated snow I really appreciate. I’m looking forward to tapping my fresh supply of hot chocolate, watching snow fall and reading while wrapped up in my zebra-stripped snuggie.

No comments: