Turn objections around

How many times have you heard sentences like this?

"I'd like to hear more about your idea, but I haven't got time right now." "I think you're a really great person, but I'm not ready for a relationship." "It sounds great, but I can't afford it."

Credit goes to John McWhirter, a UK-based NLP trainer, and Michael Neill for this technique to turn objections around.

Most of us have learned to disregard whatever comes before the "but" and take the second half of the sentence as the speakers "actual" message. But what happens if you reverse the sentence, using the "but" as the pivot point, and then take things a step further in the direction we want them to go?

Try reading the following examples out loud, emphasizing the last phrase: "So you haven't got time right now, but you'd love to hear more about this? When would be a better time to set up a meeting?" "Let me see... you're not ready for a relationship, but you think I'm a really great person? How about if we just hang out together for a while?" "If I'm understanding you, you can't afford it, but it sounds great? Well if it sounds great, let's see if we can't sort out a way for you to afford it!"

Today's Experiment:
1. Complete the following sentence stems. You may complete each one as many different ways as you would like.

a. I want to be successful, but...
b. I want to be healthy, but...
c. I want to exercise, but...

2. Choose your favorite completions from part one. Reverse the "but", and sell yourself on a new belief! Example:

a. I want to have more money, but I don't want to do more work.
b. I don't want to do more work, but I do want to have more money. What are twenty things I could do to make more money with less work?

Keep on being smart!

No comments: