Perpetual Attitude Adjuster

“We seem to be running out of steam. This whole thing is going on longer than anyone thought. We have to keep up our spirits. We have to live with gratitude for what we have. “ the speaker said. The audience clapped and cheered in agreement.

Gratitude goes a long way. People ask how I stay so cheerful and optimistic. It’s so simple. It takes no more than 5 minutes at bedtime. Here’s my secret:

I’m grateful for all I have. I keep a gratitude journal that reminds me of the bounty and blessings filling my life. Here’s how it works.

Get a book with blank or lined pages. Pick out one that makes you feel good and smile. Target has lovely ones. On the first page write a favorite quote or saying, the date and add "my gratitude journal' to it.

Every evening review your day. I begin the review with waking up in the morning to birds singing and go through my day in my head to being ready to write down my gratitudes. I recall what happened, phone calls, unpleasant and pleasant conversations, surprises, nice things that people do for me, random acts of kindness. You get the picture. Looking over your calendar will help you.

Then write down at least 5 things you're grateful for. Each day I write different things to keep me mindful of how much is wonderful.

On a hotterthanheck Sunday a friend came over and we hung out at the pool. My entries for that day read this way: hanging out at the pool with Hugh, being treated to lunch, ready for tomorrow’s sales calls, good conversation with neighbors, and reading well at church. They read like a tweet - sound bites. If you want to write more, do.

I have another short column with GG at the top. It’s for God’s grace – those sweet ‘out of the blue’ things that happen. Being treated to lunch, using a float, phone call from a friend I’m thinking about. This keeps me remembering that God is busy helping me.

Over time it becomes a diary as you review daily entries. My journal lives on my bedside table with a favorite pen. Before I turn out my light at night, I make my entries. Going to bed focused on what’s right and well in my world makes for good and restful sleep.

Keep your journal any way you like so it reflects you. You’ll see it evolve as your gratitude increases.

A book, a pen, and 5 minutes make a wonderful attitude adjustor. My secret is out.

COACHES CHALLENGE: Begin to write down what you’re grateful for. Make them different each day. Share one or two with me on Facebook @ The Smart Woman’s Club fan page and Twitter @thesmartwoman. Let’s get a gratitude stream going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya im new on here, I stumbled upon this forum I have found It absolutely accommodating & it's helped me out alot. I hope to contribute and support other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Aloha i'm fresh to this, I stumbled upon this message board I have found It vastly accessible and it's helped me out a great deal. I hope to give something back & support other people like its helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around