I have babies!

I have babies!

That sounds odd, considering my age and my daughters' ages!

Two chicks have hatched in the sparrow's nest in the ivy pile by the statue in the garden. They're scrawny little naked pips with wild feathers here and there. They look like wee punk rockers on a bad trip.

17 days ago I discovered the nest with 4 eggs. Mom caught my attention as she was taking nest building stuff into the ivy. She laid an egg every day for 4 days. Silly me thought birds laid their eggs all at once. Now that I think about it my bottom hurts just to imagine all that mass popping out.

It's exciting because it's the first time there's been a nest where I can look into it completely. You know I've taken daily peeks monitoring progress, making noises as I approach so Mom'll fly away. Sometimes she surprises me by flying out as I peek.

Mom's watching and feeding now. Two more eggs to hatch.

No comments: