He Really Did What He Said

“ Yes. This is Smokie,” I replied to the man’s inquiry when I answered the phone. 

“This is Boats, from match.  I answered your email the other day saying I’d call when I got to town and so I’m calling.”  It was 10:30 Sunday morning.  Usually I'm at church til 11:30.  Is this Divine Intervention?

He continued “Will you fly to Williamsburg with me for lunch today?” 

“I would love to” I answered quickly.  Then I thought  “How did he know I love flying in little planes?  Oh, no! Suppose he’s Jack the Ripper and I’m in the plane. He could kill me….. You’d better rethink this.”
He continued “ It’s 10:30 now. There’s a window between 11 and 3 so I’ll pick you up.”

“I going to Charlottesville for dinner with friends and I don’t know what time I have to leave.” I said truthfully.  “My friend’s calling later to tell me when to meet.”

“Here’s my number. You call me when dinner plans are settled.”  he replied, clearly a man on a mission. 

With his number jotted on a napkin, we hung up.  I was thinking “Wow! Fly to Williamsburg for lunch is nuts. You can drive there in an hour; how’d he know I love to fly in little planes?” 

I recalled Boats' conversation with Kathleen, my match mentor and friend I was meeting for dinner that evening.  With 3:45 as my departure time, I called Boats back.

We agreed to a lunch meeting at 12:30 at a place his friend owns.  I declined his offer to pick me up – a bad idea for a first totally blind date.  And he could be Jack-the-Ripper.

In front of the restaurant I saw a short man in a yellow jacket and funny cap. “Is this he? He doesn’t look like what I remember. Wish I'd read his profile better.” I thought.

As I approached, he said “I’m Boats. You must be Smokie.” 

“Guilty.” I answered playfully, as we sized each other up, just like 2 dogs in the park.