Living a Chinese Fire Drill - Part 2

Hot dog orders were piling up. Doggie Dude was sinking fast. All the food in the Café is frozen and those hot dogs were double frozen. Doggie Dude was rolling them on the grill just to speed up thawing. Once nicely cooked and brown he stuck them in the bun and it was taking too long to nicely cook and wrap.

I have wrapped presents and sandwiches and I’ve unwrapped plenty of hot dogs to dress them. It couldn’t be hard. Doggie Dude needed to concentrate on cooking them. I watched him wrap one and I was trained. Like Skywire said “It’s easy.”

I had a job! Anxiety was gone. My job was secure because those suckers disappeared every time we’d get one in the hot box. Princess had a hungry customer wanting 12 of them.

Princess and Princessahs were shouting their orders for us: 10 hotdogs, 5 chicken tender meals, 6 squirrely fries, 3 ¼ large cheeseburger meals. Doggie Dude and I are wondering what these people look like that are getting all this food. Hadn’t anyone eaten before they came? Blackberry was checking his blackberry for Lord knows what between every customer. “One more plain burger meal. 12 squirrely fries. Eight hotdogs.” all the Princessahs yell.

Tender Chic was working the deep fry baskets of fries and tenders with both hands, fries flying everywhere as she filled meal and jumbo orders. “This is really hot. Watch. I’m coming through.” “How many orders do you want?”

On a scale of 1 to 10 this Chinese fire drill was a 12 and rising! No one had worked together or done the job before and we were drinking from the fire hose.

“They just radioed me The National Anthem’s started. Stop.” yelled Pipper. Yea! Finally I can stop and turn around and see who’s ordering all this food. A Flying Squirrel rule is to stop what you’re doing, remove your hat, and stand stone still while the national anthem is played. We’re told “Don’t worry about the customers. They’ll catch on.”
I’m loving this. I can be an anthem nazi when it comes to respect and exhibiting proper behavior when it’s played. My world travels have given me much pride and high regard for our symbols of freedom and all that America stands for. That’s enough about my soap box now. Back to the fire drill.

Customers waited in line patiently. Nothing better than starving customers to serve. They kept us informed of game status when they left the stands about 60 minutes earlier. No kidding – that’s what they said and they were pleasant. They knew we were doing the best we could. Princess did have fries thrown at her by one woman. I wish she hadn’t done that. Someone was waiting for that order.

My legs are beginning to ache and my feet are throbbing. I wrap another hot dog. Does anyone have some aspirin? Where is the rubber mat to stand on? Oh, there isn’t one. Tennis shoes are little cushion on this concrete floor. I forgot my spongy insoles and my binoculars. How unprepared can one be?

No comments: